Issue Work Permits
This course is designed for students who will be working in or around confined spaces on a BHP Billiton Iron Ore Site. Whether the space is enclosed or partially enclosed, these students are responsible for carrying out work or inspections. The course is also appropriate for those performing sentry or stand-by person roles on a BHP Iron Ore site.
Unique Student Identifier (USI) - www.usi.gov.au Fitness to participate
The Confined Space Entrant/Standby course is designed for persons who are required to undertake work in confined spaces on a BHP Billiton Iron Ore site. The course targets the planning and risk assessment processes required for safe entry into designated confined spaces. All persons on a BHP Iron Ore site who are working in or around Confined Spaces must hold this qualification in order to gain the correct understanding of BHP’s permits, policies and procedures.
The following items are covered during the conduct of the training:
- Permit Legislative Requirements
- Completing a review of the scope of work
- Selecting the most appropriate permit for the work task
- Liaising with the work team to review the JSA/Risk Assessment & document hazard controls on the work permit
- Isolation procedures
- Determining the appropriate conditions for the permit
- Raising, authorising & issuing the necessary permit
- Monitoring compliance with permit conditions and the JSA/Risk Assessment
- Reporting any indiscretions or violations of permit conditions as required
- Managing the permit process, e.g. extensions, handovers, changes etc.
- Signing off work permits on completion of work
- Ensuring that workplace procedures are complied with for the entire permit process
Units of Competency
MSMPER200 Work in accordance with an issued permit
MSMPER300 Issue work permits
MSMWHS201 Conduct hazard analysis
Assessment of this course is through written assessment and observation of students carrying out a range of practical activities. Upon successful completion of the course, participants will be issued with a Statement of Attainment.
Classroom theory via PowerPoint or the issued learner resource including use of audio-visual material and practical activities.
Please select your state so that courses on the site can be shown for your location.