Shift Materials Safely using Manual Handling Methods
Work involves the application of the basic principles for the safe lifting and movement of loads when shifting materials safely using manual handling methods as part of day-to-day work.
This unit involves the skills and knowledge required to shift loads using manual handling methods, including assessing the risks associated with relocating the load, planning the relocation process and carrying out the relocation in accordance with the plan.
- Communicate effectively with others when manually lifting and handling materials and goods
- Read and interpret instructions, procedures and information relevant to the manual lifting and handling of materials and goods
- Interpret and follow operational instructions and prioritise work
- Work collaboratively with others when manually lifting and handling materials and goods
- Adapt appropriately to cultural differences in the workplace, including modes of behaviour and interactions with others
- Promptly report and/or rectify any identified problems that may arise when manually lifting and handling materials and goods in accordance with regulatory requirements and workplace procedures
- Implement contingency plans for unexpected situations that may occur when manually lifting and handling materials and goods
- Apply precautions and required action to minimise, control or eliminate risks that may exist when manually lifting and handling materials and goods
- Monitor work activities in terms of planned schedule
- Modify activities depending on differing operational contingencies, risk situations and environments
- Apply fatigue management knowledge and techniques
- Work systematically with required attention to detail without injury to self or others, or damage to goods or equipment
- Operate and adapt to differences in loads and materials in accordance with standard operating procedures
- Select and use required personal protective equipment conforming to industry and OH&S standards range
Unit of Competency
TLID1001 Shift materials safely using manual handling methods
Students learning outcomes will be assessed using practical activities designed to simulate a workplace and written or oral questions as appropriate.
Classroom theory via PowerPoint presentations, including audio-visual material and practical activities that simulate a workplace.
Please select your state so that courses on the site can be shown for your location.