Enter and Work in Confined Spaces and Gas Test Atmospheres
2 Days - Max 12 Students
These competencies are designed for any person that enters and works in confined spaces in resources and infrastructure industries. It includes planning and preparing for entry of confined spaces; entry and working in confined spaces, exiting confined spaces, cleaning up and any person required to test the working atmosphere to determine if it is safe for the proposed work.
Language and literacy requirements from the unit are:
- Writing is required to the level of completing written assessments.
- Reading is required to enable the determination of information through the student manual.
- Participants are required to have the physical abilities to successfully complete the practical applications of the course.
The general purpose of this course is for any person that enters and works in confined spaces in resources and infrastructure industries. It includes planning, preparing for entry into confined space, entering and working in confined spaces exiting confined spaces, cleaning up and any person required to test the working atmosphere to determine if it is safe for the proposed work.
Note: This course is recognised by Sydney Water.
The course content focuses on:
- The ability to plan & prepare for entering & working in confined spaces, including interpreting compliance documents, applying work instructions & obtaining authorisation (entry permits),
- The ability to enter & work in confined spaces, including gaining access, applying safety procedures, maintaining communications & complying with entry permit requirements,
- The ability to exit confined space according to procedures, recovering tools & equipment, removing tagging & lock-out, completing entry permit and site clean-up,
- The ability to demonstrate knowledge of the requirements, procedures and instructions for entering and working in confined spaces,
- The ability to demonstrate the implementation of requirements, procedures and techniques for the safe, effective and efficient completion for entering and working in confined spaces,
- The ability to determine the type of gas / atmosphere to be tested,
- The ability to select & calibration of equipment,
- Demonstrated application of personal safety principles, identifying hazards & implementing hazard control measures,
- The ability to use & maintenance of atmospheric monitoring equipment and interpreting and reporting readings.
Units of Competency
MSMPER205 Enter confined space
MSMPER200 Work in accordance with an issued permit
RIIWHS202D Enter and work in confined spaces
MSMWHS217 Gas test atmospheres
Assessment will be conducted through actual demonstration of competency and written and oral testing of underpinning knowledge. Assessment for this unit of competency will be by simulation of work place practices.
Training will be delivered utilising theory and practical activities. Delivery will include instructor led presentations / scenarios.
Please select your state so that courses on the site can be shown for your location.